Law Enforcement Search String Assistant
The Law Enforcement Search String Assistant (LESSA) is a resource to digital forensics investigators who perform keyword searches for
Share keyword lists
Keyword lists for drugs, child
porn, fraud, and most other criminal investigations are
stored here. Find typical words, slang, words from foreign languages,
- Browse keywords by crime category.
- Search for keywords stored here using the LESSA Search Engine.
- Download keywords to import into EnCase, FTK, and other forensics tools.
- Share your keywords with others by adding them to the lists.
- Vote on the effectiveness of keywords to help establish which
keywords work best
- Comment on keywords to guide others in their use.
Generate Regular (GREP) Expressions
EnCase, FTK, X-Ways
and other forensic tools allow searching for patterns, such as “all
valid credit card numbers” or “all email addresses” using regular
- Use LESSA’s RegEx Generator to generate regular expressions for
EnCase and/or FTK from a simple, intuitive interface.
- Have LESSA’s RegEx Generator generate sample strings that match
your regular expression to see if your expression produces expected
- Test regular expressions on sample text in LESSA’s RegEx Tester
to see what text your expression matches before committing to a
time-consuming search in your forensic tool.
LESSA was developed at the University of Rhode Island’s Digital
Forensics Center under a grant from the National Institute of
Justice’s Electronic Crime Program. It is supported by the NIJ’s
Electronic Crime Technology Center of Excellence.